Little Avalyn is a miniature-sized version of Avalyn, a timeless, elegant piece with classic design details. This cardigan looks great on girls and boys alike! The rib‑based, allover lattice texture and chunky cables together with the cardigan’s folded cuffs and shawl collar will keep your little one warm and cozy in sophisticated style.
This cardigan is knit seamlessly from the top down using raglan shaping. The yoke is knit first and stitches are placed on hold for the sleeves. The body is then worked to the hem. Upon completion of the body, stitches are picked up along the edges of the cardigan for the shawl collar, which is shaped using short rows before the button band is worked. Finally, the sleeves are resumed and worked seamlessly in the round from the top down.
Purchase Little Avalyn and Avalyn, the adult version of this cardigan, for a combined price of $12.00! Click here to add both patterns to your cart on Ravelry. For those of you who have already purchased the Avalyn pattern under the same Ravelry account, a discounted price should automatically reflect in your cart when you purchase this version as well.
6 months (12 months, 18 months, 2 years, 4 years, 6 years, 8 years)
At chest, button bands overlapping: 19 (20, 21½, 22½, 24½, 27, 29)” / 48 (51, 55, 57, 62, 69, 74) cm
Cardigan is intended to be worn with approximately 1-2” (3-5 cm) positive ease.
513 (540, 581, 751, 810, 890, 932) yards / 469 (494, 531, 687, 741, 813, 852) meters plied sport weight yarn.
Cardigan shown in 4 years/24½” (62 cm) size and Madelinetosh Tosh Sport [Sport weight, 100% Superwash Merino Wool, 270 yards (247) meters per 100g (3.5 oz) skein] in colorway ‘Molly Ringwald.’
- US 2½ (3 mm) circular needle, 32” (81 cm) or longer
- US 4 (3.5 mm) circular needle, 32” (81 cm) or longer
- (1) Additional US 2½ (3 mm) circular needle of the same length, OR (1) 60” (152 cm) circular needle
- Appropriate needles of the same two sizes for your preferred method of knitting sleeves in the round
Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
28.5 sts and 32 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Lattice Rib, using larger needles, after blocking.
Instructions for Gauge Swatch are included in pattern.
- (8) Stitch markers, color A
- (6) Stitch markers, color B
- (6) Removable markers
- (2) Cable needles
- Waste yarn or spare circular needles/cords
- Size 4 (2 mm) Crochet Hook (for picking up sts)
- Sewing needle & thread
- 4 (4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5) Size 7/8 (7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 1⅛, 1⅛)” / 23 (23, 23, 23, 23, 28, 28) mm Buttons
- This pattern contains both written and charted instructions.
Cabling without a cable needle is highly recommended for this pattern. If this technique is new to you, or to see how it was used in this pattern, please watch the accompanying YouTube video at https://youtu.be/jqXP5Hl7Hfw or on the Tutorials page.